Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Merry Christmas...Joy to the World!


Tiramisu Cupcakes!

Singing...."Joy to the World........"

What didn't I make for Christmas? I made like many of you out there in Bake Land: Cookies, Cupcakes, cakes, more cookies.....LOL.  It was truly a crazy time.  I spent nights measuring, baking, decorating, sprinkling...and the worst ever cleaning.  Ugh!  That's the only part I hate.  Cleaning the baking pans and pastry tips is the worst.  I spend more time cleaning than baking sometimes!!! hahahaha!

So for this Christmas, me and my sink became best friends.  My poor nails, my poor sleep...ha!  Okay-okay, but I figure, its all worth it.  See what I mean below.......  TADA!

These are Tiramisu Cupcakes! 


So this is actually a cake recipe that I turned into cupcakes.  They came out perfect and I decorated them as white Christmas trees with sprinkles.  Okay so the recipe calls for half of the cake batter to be mixed with instant coffee and I did this but I added the white cake batter first and then added the coffee batter on top of the cupcake.  It makes a pretty cake. Coffee flavored cake on top and the White Cake at the bottom. 



Okay so then the cupcake calls for a marscapone cheese filling so what I did with this was add this as a filling with the handy Wilton Tip No. 230.  The frosting is made with cream and it resembles whip cream but thicker and yummier! The recipe I got from Allrecipes.com.  It's called Tiramisu Layer Cake.  I made mini versions and regular versions.  I used some crunch sprinkles but you can use any other type of cute sprinkles!    I used Duncan Hines for the cake.  It makes it sooo much more easier to use box cake sometimes and for that I thank DH...hahahaha! 

I made these to give these as presents for the Holiday's.  My friends sure did enjoy them and I did also...Hee-hee!

Ingredients



CAKE:

• 1 (18.25 ounce) package moist white cake mix
• 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
• 1/4 cup coffee
• 1 tablespoon coffee flavored liqueur

FILLING: (This I used as the filling)


• 1 (8 ounce) container mascarpone cheese
• 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
• 2 tablespoons coffee flavored liqueur

FROSTING:


• 2 cups heavy cream
• 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
• 2 tablespoons coffee flavored liqueur

GARNISH:


• 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 (1 ounce) square semisweet chocolate


Directions


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 3 (9 inch) pans.


2. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions. Divide two thirds of batter between 2 pans. Stir instant coffee into remaining batter; pour into remaining pan.


3. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. In a measuring cup, combine brewed coffee and 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur; set aside.


4. To make the filling: In a small bowl, using an electric mixer set on low speed, combine mascarpone, 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur; beat just until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.


5. To make the frosting: In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium-high speed, beat the cream, 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar and 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur until stiff. Fold 1/2 cup of cream mixture into filling mixture.


6. To assemble the cake: Place one plain cake layer on a serving plate. Using a thin skewer, poke holes in cake, about 1 inch apart. Pour one third of reserved coffee mixture over cake, then spread with half of the filling mixture. Top with coffee-flavored cake layer; poke holes in cake. Pour another third of the coffee mixture over the second layer and spread with the remaining filling. Top with remaining cake layer; poke holes in cake. Pour remaining coffee mixture on top. Spread sides and top of cake with frosting. Place cocoa in a sieve and lightly dust top of cake. Garnish with chocolate curls. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.


7. To make the chocolate curls, use a vegetable peeler and run it down the edge of the chocolate bar. (I didn't use this.)





No comments:

Post a Comment